Monday, July 1, 2013

Target Birding with Greg Links

Mrs. Mallard
“Just saw your hit list.  I think I could get you at least 3 or 4 of those in the Oak Openings without too much luck needed.”  This was a message I got from super birder Greg Links a couple days after posting a list of birds I am still missing for the year.  I have birded with Greg a couple times before, so I already knew taking him up on his offer was a necessity.  Normally I ask Elissa if she would mind if I go out birding early in the morning, but this time I simply told her I couldn’t pass up getting out there with Greg.


I consider myself to be an intermediate level birder.  I know a fair amount, but all of the knowledge I have in my noggin represents just a small piece of what Greg Links knows about birds.  Going birding with such a person is a real treat.  Greg knows bird calls.  He’s amazing.  And he can do bird calls.  His Barred Owl is something else, and his Screech Owl gets all the little birds in a tizzy.  We were standing off of Wilkins Road near the bike trail when Greg started in with his Screech Owl.  Amazingly the birds came out of nowhere looking for an owl to pester.  Titmice, Chickadees, and Scarlet Tanagers came right to us.  I was impressed to say the least.

Indigo Bunting
Greg nearly guaranteed me that we would see Yellow-throated Vireos and Vesper Sparrows.  He also said that other possibilities might include Dickcissel, Black-billed Cuckoo, Yellow-breasted Chat, Alder Flycatcher, and Blue Grosebeak.


After meeting him at Irwin Prairie at 6am, Greg and I headed over to Degenfelder Road.  He told me this was the best spot for Vesper Sparrows.  He was right.  Greg of course heard them before we saw them.  I told him on the way there that I listened to the song of the Vesper Sparrow, and that it sort of sounded Song Sparrowish to me.  Greg went even further and said that, to him, the Vesper Sparrow starts off with a couple notes borrowed from a Field Sparrow and then it slides into a Song Sparrow tune.  After listening to them for a few minutes I could hear what he was talking about.  Great analysis!


Yellow-throated Vireo
After that quick stop for Vesper Sparrow, we made our way down to Oak Openings.  Our first stop was on Sager Road near Wilkins.  We were after Yellow-breasted Chat and Alder Flycatcher.  I have been to this spot multiple times for the Chat, but have had no luck.  Of course now I had Greg Links with me.  Surprisingly though, I got on the bird before he did.  I couldn’t say for sure what it was.  I thought female Common Yellowthroat at first, but it was a bigger bird with a lot of yellow.  Greg finally got on it and immediately confirmed that it was a Chat.  That’s two!


We hit several other spots throughout the park, but came up empty on Black-billed Cuckoo, Blue Grosebeak, and the nearly guaranteed (Can’t miss Greg!) Yellow-throated Vireo.


Our last stop on the day was a field off of Waterville-Neapolis Road near the Blue Creek Conservation Area.  Greg had heard from a fellow birder that there were a few Dickcissels hanging out there.  We ended up seeing one, but heard several others.  Greg, not surprisingly, delivered 3 more species for my Big Year.


Red-bellied Woodpeckers...Parent and Child
Although I didn’t get the Vireo with Greg yesterday, I did luck out today.  I drove slowly down Sager Road playing the call on my phone until I heard a reply.  I got out and was able to get a few photos.  Super cool!

I can’t thank Greg Links enough for offering to help me get a few more birds.  You are a very generous person Greg, and I have learned a lot from you in the short time that we’ve known each other.  Thanks again and good luck on your various bird related projects.  Happy birding everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment