Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Birding is My Escape

A favorite spot at Oak Openings
Since I graduated in 2007, I have applied at every major school district in Northwest Ohio.  I have had countless interviews.  Many times I get called back for second and third interviews.  The result at the end of this process is always the same.  Someone with more experience is chosen.  They wanted a hometown person for the position.  A few times I've found out that a board member's son was hired over me.  Many times a district will post an opening, you'll do all the paperwork for the application, and they will fill the job internally.  When you find out that any of these things happen, you can't help but feel a little depressed, angry, and hopeless.

Birding has become my escape from constantly thinking about my professional failures.  When I'm out looking for and listening to birds, I am able to forget about these frustrations at least for a little bit.

My wife is always positive no matter how low I get.  I feel very fortunate to have someone like her in my life.  Here she is nearly 9 months pregnant and she's the one talking me up.  She's one tough cookie.  Although I am anxious and apprehensive about what life will be like with two crazy kids, I am so happy that I am married to such a special woman.  With her by my side, I know things are going to work out.

Last week I found out that I was passed over for two jobs.  I was so confident about the prospect of getting one of those positions that I even thought about how my Big Year would have to be set aside for a more important purpose.  Bad news: I didn't get either job.  Good news: I get to keep birding.  What can I say?  It makes me happy when I otherwise would feel pretty crappy.

Tomorrow (or today since it is now after midnight), my dad, my aunt and I will be heading out to Ottawa County to see what's flying around.  Stops will probably include Maumee Bay State Park, Camp Perry, Magee, Metzgers, and Pearson Park.  I haven't added a bird since July 11th, so I'm chomping at the bit to get a new one.  We'll see what happens.  Happy birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment