Sunday, September 29, 2013

Countable?


The answer to this question, as far as I'm concerned, is who cares?  For you non-birders, there are rules when listing birds.  Game birds such as these Northern Bobwhite are often released and are not "countable" according to the American Bird Association (ABA).  Because I have no intention of turning in my list into the ABA at the end of the year, the Northern Bobwhite will show up on my list at bird #266.

My mom and dad called me today around 1:30pm and told me that there were some quail-esque birds hanging out around the nature center at Secor Metropark.  She described the bird, and I realized immediately that they were looking at two male Northern Bobwhite.  I turned to Elissa and asked her how mad she would be if I went to chase after this one.  She nearly rolled her eyes and said, "Do what you gotta do."

I made it to Secor by 2pm and was able to snap these photos.  Very cool birds to watch.  They like to scamper...or perhaps even skulk would be an applicable way to describe their movement.  Either way, I was very happy to see them.  Hope all of you are enjoying this rainy Sunday in Northwest Ohio.  Happy birding!


No comments:

Post a Comment