Friday, August 23, 2013

A Wee Woodlawn Warrior

The other fisherman, the Osprey (B. Brywczynski)
"So...there are Bald Eagles around here?" I always get a kick out of people who ask this question. I always end up telling them that if they take a trip out to Magee, Ottawa, or Metzgers, they will often see as many Bald Eagles as they want to see. Of course I may have to change my response after my experiences this year. Bald Eagle sightings are certainly not limited to those spots on Lake Erie. I have seen adult Bald Eagles multiple times at the Delta Reservoir. A sighting at the intersection of Sylvania and Holland Sylvania was a pleasant surprise. My favorite encounter this year with our national bird occurred today at Historic Woodlawn Cemetery in the heart of the city of Toledo. To see that bird along with another fisherman, the Osprey, in a setting surrounded by decades of urban expansion was a real treat.

Great Crested Flycatcher (B. Brywczynski)
 There were two goals for my trip to Woodlawn. First and foremost, I wanted to meet and get to know some of the wonderful people that provided so much good information for my last post. Secondly, I wanted to see a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher that has been hanging out in the cemetery for about a week now.

My first goal was easily accomplished. It's not difficult to talk to people who are naturally helpful, caring, and extremely amiable. I really enjoyed the experience today mainly because of the people I so graciously accompanied on the walk. Often times in birding, enjoying yourself has less to do with the birds you see, and more to do with who joins you on the journey. Good birds help too though ;)

Audrey checking her eyelids for holes (T. Thompson)
 My second goal was unfortunately not met. Tim Thompson (T3) and Tim Drewyor (T2) waited with me at the spot where the Yellow-bellied had been seen for a little while, but it did not oblige us with a visit. Perhaps I'll need to schedule another trip to the cemetery if the Woodlawn Warriors spot him again. Although we didn't get the Yellow-bellied, we had a ton of other good birds. A few notables include Green Heron, Great Crested Flycatcher, and Canada Warbler.

 My Aunt Woody, Elissa and Audrey came along for the walk. At 3 weeks old, Tim Thompson said that Audrey is the youngest Woodlawn Warrior to date. Her daddy is so proud! Maybe next time she'll open her eyes for more than a few minutes.

 Historic Woodlawn Cemetery is a diamond in the rough. It proves that if you live in the city of Toledo, you don't have to go far to see some really cool birds. I'm always trying to encourage people to get out and explore the areas around them. You never know what you might see. New discoveries could be awaiting you in your very own backyard. Happy birding everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Again, I have to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. You are a gifted writer Brandon! We hope to see you again at one of the Woodlawn bird Walks.

    Julie Heitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too kind Julie. It was wonderful meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Julie, very nice blog. And it was nice to meet you and your family. Keep up the good work. Tim Drewyor

    ReplyDelete