Monday, March 11, 2013

Westerville, Port Huron, and Spring Migration

Red-tailed Hawk at Maumee Bay State Park
Male Red Crossbill (above)
Female Red Crossbill (below)


At the beginning of this birding adventure I had 211 species on my life list.  Today marks exactly two months since I began my big year.  I currently have 136 birds recorded.  This number includes 22 new species, bringing my life list total up to 233 birds.  

I have always loved birding, but this year it has become an obsession to be sure.  The good kind of obsession though.  I mean, I’m not a creeper who really likes feet...you know?  This infatuation has afforded me opportunities to meet some really cool people and to see some really cool birds.  This past week, for example, I was able to see the Red Crossbill’s I have pictured here.  Several people posted their sightings on Rarebird.org and I hustled over to Oak Openings to see them.  As of yesterday (3/10), they were still feeding at the Window on Wildlife near Mallard Lake.

I would like to average a bird a day.  I am ahead of that pace right now, but that is mostly due to the fact that Elissa and I took that trip down to the Everglades.  The ducks are starting to roll in now, but I got most of those down in Florida too.  In order to stay on track I will need to make trips for specific species.  To pick up a few more, Lis and I might head up to Port Huron, MI in two weeks to hopefully see Black, White-winged, and Surf Scoters.  Long-tailed Ducks will also be a target.  It will be nearly the end of migration for these cold weather waterfowl, but that is the earliest we can get up there.


This past weekend Elissa and I visited Dale, Ruth, and Adler in Westerville, Ohio.  We had a wonderful time, Dale did our taxes, and I added three birds to the list.  I got a Ring-necked Duck at Sharon Woods Metropark, a Carolina Chickadee at Hoover Meadows, and spotted a group of Red-breasted Merganzers on the Hoover Reservoir.  Had we had more time to bird I’m sure I could have added a few more.  The Columbus area has so many cool parks to explore.

In other news, I recently volunteered to be a driver for a couple of tour groups during the peak of Spring migration.  Greg Links presented me with these opportunities and I eagerly accepted the offer.  On the morning of Saturday May 4th I will be driving other birders to local hotspots like Maumee Bay State Park, Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, Metzger’s March, and Magee Marsh.  On Sunday May 5th I will be a driver for an all day affair in Erie County.  I am especially looking forward to this trip because I really haven’t done any birding that far east.

Next week I plan on working on my second installment in my Birds in Profile series.  Within the next month I hope to have a bird identification video up on the blog.  I have worked on the script and content.  Now I just need to do the video.  Hopefully you will find it helpful and enjoyable.  Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment