Sunday, February 10, 2013

Birds in Profile: The Brown-Headed Cowbird

When I became a father my life undoubtedly changed forever. The awesome weight of responsibility I now have on my shoulders can be nerve racking at times. I mean…I am responsible for the protection, safety and development of another human being. Thankfully Elissa and I make a good team and Ruby, although she doesn’t realize it yet, is very lucky to have us. It could be worse. We could be Cowbirds.

The Brown-headed Cowbird is one of my least favorite species. Why you ask? Well let’s just say our parenting styles could not be farther apart. The Cowbird is a “brood parasite.” The female does not build a nest. Alternatively, she lays her eggs in the nests of other bird species. The new foster parents are then stuck with another mouth to feed. This “nest invasion” often threatens the survival of the host’s own brood.

Correct

In the human domain I have come in contact with more than a few dead beat parents. Although the practices of many of these parents have often angered me greatly, I have always understood the reason why they fall short of meeting the needs of their children. Drug use could be clouding their judgment. Perhaps they are emotionally unstable. Lack of education could be a factor. Whatever the reason, I have always connected the dots when it comes to people. But why would a bird decide to flat out abandon their offspring?

Incorrect

I found what I believe to be the answer at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Historically, Brown-headed Cowbirds were nomads. They followed herds of bison in the Great Plains in the pre-1800’s (Cornell Lab, n.d.). Because of the ways birds produce offspring it is fairly easy to see how difficult it would be for one to live a nomadic lifestyle and be an attentive parent at the same time. Now I get it! I still don’t like those stinking Cowbirds!

For more information on Brown-headed Cowbirds I encourage you to click on the link above. There is a plethora of interesting stuff. I barely touched on what makes this bird so unique. Happy birding!

BIRD COUNT: 119

RECENT NOTABLES: Snow Bunting, Lapland Longspur, Pileated Woodpecker, Red-Headed Woodpecker, Carolina Wren, and White-Winged Crossbill.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Brown-headed Cowbird (website). Retrieved from http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown-headed_Cowbird/lifehistory.

Cowbird picture from:

VanColt, R. "Are You My Mother?". Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/brood-parasite.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment